CALL 609-654-5489

We can prepare your deed the SAME DAY!!!*

Preparing a Deed

with a special explanation about

Quit Claim Deeds

A deed is a legal document prepared by a lawyer, which when signed by the sellers, conveys title to the property to the buyer. The deed, along with other incidental paperwork, then gets recorded with the County Clerk. The most common types of deeds are the “Bargain and Sale” deed, and the “Quit Claim” deed (often mispronounced as a quick claim or quick claim deed). In some states, the Bargain and Sale deed is referred to as a warranty deed, or a special warranty deed. Whatever the name, it is the deed used in a typical real estate sale because the seller makes certain representations to the buyers, such as there being no other persons with a legal interest in the property, and there being no liens on the property.

The Quit-Claim deed makes no such representations, and is sometimes referred to as a “dollar deed” because it is used in family, matrimonial or divorce transactions where the consideration is stated as being one dollar ($1.00).

You may want to change how you and another person hold title to the property?  Thre are three choices and are discussed in great detail using the following link: How to Hold Title to Real Estate.

Our cost to prepare a typical Quit Claim deed is $385.00.  Same day deeds often require payment of a small premium. The typical cost to record a deed with the County Clerk is ninety dollars ($90.00) depending on the number of pages.  The seller also has to pay a realty transfer fee or tax which is based on a sliding scale. For example, the fee on a $350,000 sale is approximately $2,105, and $1,325 on a $250,000 sale. If you are 62 years of age or older and it is your primary residence, the fee on $250,000 sale goes down to $400. If there is a mortgage on the property, the County Clerk may want you to pay the tax even if there is no money changing hands.  These fees are consistent throughout the state, and not limited to Southern New Jersey real estate transactions.

* Obviously, we would need to get started fairly early in the day, and we will generally need a copy of your current, recorded deed to get the deed done quickly.  Also, if you are asking for a deed to be prepared for someone other than yourself to sign, we will need to speak directly to that person to make sure they are not being taken advantage of, and to ensure that they know exactly what they are doing and why.  This may slow up the process a bit.

Deeds and mortgages are recorded with the County Clerk in the county in which the property lies. Recording fees and realty transfer fees must be paid at the time of recording and are frequently being increased. County Clerk contact information and links to their web sites are set forth below:

Burlington County Clerk
49 Rancocas Road
Mt. Holly, NJ 08060

Camden County Clerk
Camden County Courthouse
520 Market Street
Camden, NJ 08102

Ocean County Clerk
118 Washington Street
Toms River, NJ 08754

Disclaimer: Although I am an attorney licensed to practice law in the State of New Jersey, the information on this website is for general information purposes only and is not to be construed as legal advice. Every situation is different and there are many exceptions for every legal principal or rule. You must consult with an attorney licensed to practice law in your jurisdiction for help and advice. If you reside in the State of New Jersey, I can provide you with that legal advice, however, it needs to be done in person, by telephone, or by video conferencing.